Skip to main content

Marion Township

Marion, Ohio 43302

Home  Elected Officials  Board Meeting Minutes  Meetings-Calendar  Fire Department  Zoning  Phillip Dreyer Cemetery  Road Department  Contact Us  Member Login   
Phillip Dreyer Cemetery
 

In the late 1700s, twelve families immigrated to Marion County from Broadkiln 100, a township in the western part of the State of Delaware. These families, all related, settled in the Marion/Green Camp Township area. This was north of the Greenville Treaty Line, and in lands deeded to the Indians by the treaty. Several of the tribes were hostile and presented some problems to those settlers.

While building their cabins and outbuildings, these settlers discovered a site adjacent to the Scioto River where limestone could be quarried for use as their building foundations and grave markers. The overburden was removed from this site, creating a knoll that was to become a burying ground. The first burial at this cemetery, now known as Phillip Dreyer Pioneer Cemetery, was an infant that died in 1800. A total of 52 burials have been identified and the plots marked. Two veterans from the war of 1812 survived that conflict and are buried in this cemetery. Three veterans of the Civil War are interred here, two of which were killed in action, and a third that was wounded, discharged, and then later died from complications of the wounds. The last recorded burial was in 1869. In 1871, Benjamin and Sarah Morris deeded this cemetery to Marion Township to be used forever as a burial ground.

For 122 years the cemetery was neglected, vandalized. In 1993 the site was located and the Marion Township Trustees began the task of restoring the cemetery. Robert Clark, now residing in Findlay, Ohio, and his sons, Joe Clark of Marysville and Tom Clark of Lima, found that their great-great and great-great-great grandparents were buried there and volunteered their time and resources to the restoration. The photos show the results of that effort.

On May 13, 2002, a restoration-dedication ceremony was conducted. Local veteran organizations participated along with a large number of visitors. On Memorial Day 2005, an Open House was held. A large number of persons attended, including Marion County Commissioner Dave Columber, Marion Township Trustees Brad McGinnis and Dick Rasmussen, and Township Clerk Sheila Perin. The visitors expressed pleasure over the appearance of the cemetery site.

Persons interested in visiting the cemetery can call Trustee Karen McCleary at 740/382/4255 or Road Department Foreman Larry Brown at 740/225/5048. Group visits are recommended and encouraged.

Special thanks to Bob Ferguson for contributing to this page.